Comments Published on October 20, 2010 at 12:00 pm Facebook Twitter Google+ As the Syracuse field hockey team heads into the biggest weekend of the season, a number of questions surround the Orange and the changes that have been made in the past two weeks. With the deactivation of four starters for undisclosed reasons, the lineup has been shuffled around to the point where many are still unsure if they will see the field. But regardless of the distractions that have partially overshadowed SU’s recent success, players said their focus has never strayed from the weekend’s homestand against No. 4 Connecticut and No. 13 Boston College. The Orange has been working to maintain the composure that it has carried all season, and refuses to let any potential problem interfere with its routine. ‘Every day is just another day to us,’ freshman goalkeeper Rachel Sayer said. ‘It’s another step to a longer season, and we all want the longest season possible. Collectively, we all need to work together and have a great weekend.’ Though Boston College poses a significant threat, the fact that UConn (13-3, 3-1 Big East) is also clawing for the Big East lead makes that game even more important for SU. If the No. 8 Orange (10-4, 4-0) can keep the blinders on and defeat the Huskies on Saturday, the team will clinch the top seed in the Big East tournament and set its course for the NCAA tournament. UConn is coming off of a 5-1 stretch in which its only loss was to No. 1 North Carolina. The Huskies have only allowed 14 goals in 16 games this season. SU assistant coach Guy Cathro said that since the Huskies have been excellent on both sides of the field, the Orange has spent days practicing and preparing for the little moments that can change a game.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text ‘We’ve worked on our fundamentals and the different set pieces that we bring in,’ Cathro said. ‘Corners are very important against UConn because of their good defense, and you need to be solid and secure with your defensive corners and inventive with your attacking corners. Every day, we’ve looked better and we’ve improved different parts of our game.’ Though the focus and approach will be the same regardless of who is on the field, there is concern about the mental readiness of a team that does not have a set lineup going into the biggest game of the season. Of the players who did not participate in the last three games, senior forward Shelby Schraden and sophomore goalkeeper Leann Stiver were both at practice Thursday but without indication as to their playing status. The goalkeeper issue is perhaps the most pressing for the Orange, as any of Stiver, Sayer and freshman Natasha Constantine could be called upon to start in the cage. Cathro said that no starter had been named to this point. But with the recent outstanding performances of new additions to the lineup, including Sayer’s first three career wins, players said that anyone who steps on the field or into the cage has gained the composure necessary to take on the Huskies. ‘I think the freshmen that have come in over the last couple of weeks are gaining confidence in every game they play,’ sophomore back Iona Holloway said. ‘We also have confidence in all of our goalkeepers. If it’s Leann, if it’s Natasha, if it’s Rachel, we have confidence that they can do their job and they can help us do our job as a unit.’ If there is any added pressure to the weekend, Sayer said that it is not because of who may or may not play against UConn and Boston College. It’s because the Orange has an opportunity to make a statement against two quality teams, and that’s why the team has kept its focus squarely on the two upcoming games. ‘These are both top 20 teams,’ Sayer said. ‘If we win these games, it’s going to put our team at a place where everyone’s going to know we’re something not to be messed with, and that we’re going to be a final four team.’ firstname.lastname@example.org
Syracuse will compete in the EA Sports Maui Invitational in 2013. The Orange is among the eight-team field announced in a tournament press release Monday.SU won its only two previous appearances in the highly competitive early-season tournament in 1990 and 1998.The 2013 field also includes Arkansas, Baylor, California, Gonzaga, Dayton, Minnesota and host Division-II Chaminade. The eight teams announced Monday are a part of the Championship Round of the tournament. Four more teams will play in the opening and regional games as part of the tournament, too. Those schools will be announced at a later date, according to the tournament release.The games will be played at the Lahaina Civic Center in Maui, Hawaii. The tournament is often held in late November.The 2013 tournament will be the 30th in the event’s history. In addition to Syracuse, Dayton and Gonzaga both won the Maui Invitational in 2003 and 2009, respectively.AdvertisementThis is placeholder email@example.com Facebook Twitter Google+ Comments Published on March 5, 2012 at 12:00 pm Contact Ryne: firstname.lastname@example.org
In addition, posters will be placed to inform players of cleaning guidelines and behavior standards to minimize the risk of infection., distributed at the entrance of the changing room and access to the training fields, the toilets and the main passage area.At first Players are scheduled to attend the Ciutat Esportiva from Wednesday, May 6 individually and spacedly to undergo the PCR test. At half-hour intervals, between Wednesday and Thursday, all the players in the squad will be summoned, as well as the coaches and staff members. Apart from the test, the footballers will undergo an individualized interview to learn the details of the confinement as well as the control of body mass index and weight on the scale..To restart the training activity, you will still have to wait a few days, because you first need to know the tests of the test -the laboratories will give the result within 48 hours-, so everything indicates that it would not be until Monday 11 of may when footballers would return to activity on the club’s premises, always individually and under the strictest safety regulations. FC Barcelona has already started to implement the protocol to return to competition. This week the club’s chief medical officer, Ramon Canal, spoke with those responsible for the first team to inform them that On Tuesday May 5 they have to be at the Ciutat Esportiva at 9 am to supervise the disinfection process that will be carried out in all the rooms where the players will perform the tests of the Covid19 in addition to the rest of the furniture of the sports facilities. They have also been required to guarantee the stocks regarding the protective material for athletes, that is, masks, gloves, gowns and all the necessary equipment to carry out the coronavirus tests.The disinfection process will be carried out every 48 hours uninterruptedly until the season ends. It is basically an exhaustive cleaning of all the material that involves manual contact with the surface, such as door handles, knobs, railings, benches, chairs, coat racks and bathrooms, among others.
Precut fire logs and discarded food wrappers were among clues that led to the arrest Thursday of five men who arson investigators believe started last month’s devastating Malibu wildfire. Sheriff Lee Baca said a winding investigation took detectives to as far as the Oregon border, to a grocery store and to debit card records. The result: tracking down the Los Angeles area men who authorities believe set an illegal campfire at the cave where the wildfire started. “As adults we have always taught our children to be aware of the perils of fire,” Baca said during a news conference. “In this case adults and fire and carelessness … are things that led to this crime.” County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky said campfires in the area were prohibited. Baca said each felony charge could carried two to four years of prison time if convicted. Attempts to find phone listings for the men were unsuccessful. Baca said investigators went through security tape and receipts at a local Ralphs market, eventually learning the identity of those believed to be responsible by checking a debit card number. Investigators then traveled up to Shasta County near the Oregon border to speak to witnesses. No one from that county was charged, officials said. Whitmore said arson investigators found several pieces of evidence that indicated revelers had triggered the blaze by setting a campfire at a popular party spot by a cave in Corral Canyon, which abuts Malibu Creek State Park. The graffiti-covered cave is located off a service road overlooking the rolling hills of Malibu that lead down into the Pacific Ocean. Arson detective Irma Gonzales said a group of 12 people had been partying at the cave. She did not comment on how the blaze spread from the campfire, but said the group did not try to fight it, nor did they try to warn residents as they fled from the flames. “They just drove off,” Gonzales said. The Nov. 24 fire took firefighters several days to contain, destroyed over 50 homes, 35 other structures and burned over 4,900 acres in the Corral Canyon area, officials said. The total cost of the fire was estimated at $100 million, and six firefighters were injured. —- Associated Press Writers Robert Jablon and Christopher Weber contributed to this report.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! “It is illegal to set fires in the cave above Corral Canyon under any circumstances. Whether there’s a Santa Ana wind condition or not, it’s illegal,” said Yaroslavsky. “It is reckless, on top of the illegality, to set a fire anywhere in the mountains when there is a Santa Ana wind condition as there was the night this fire broke out.” Baca identified the men as Brian Allen Anderson, 22; William Thomas Coppock, 23; Brian David Franks, 27; Eric Matthew Ullman, 18; and 19-year-old Dean Allen Lavorante. All five were in custody Thursday evening, Los Angeles County sheriff’s spokesman Steve Whitmore said. It was unclear whether they had retained lawyers. The suspects were each charged with two felony counts of recklessly causing a fire with great bodily injury and recklessly causing fire to inhabited structures, according to a statement from the district attorney’s office. They were scheduled to be arraigned Monday in Van Nuys Superior Court. Bails range from $240,000 to $265,000.
Letterkenny woman Michelle Simmons starred on this week’s episode of ‘First Dates Ireland’ after being matched with Cork native Killian.The date between nurse’s aide Michelle and Killian didn’t exactly go as planned, with Killian’s wince-inducing one-liners falling flat.Unfortunately they didn’t hit it off romantically, they left on good terms and agreed that if they ever met again, it would be as friends. Prodding fun at the awkward encounter, COCO Television compiled a list of four dating tips from Killian using toe-curling clips of their date.To learn more about Michelle’s experience on ‘First Dates Ireland’, check out her interview with DonegalWoman.ie here:‘He just wasn’t my happily ever after’ Watch: Four essential dating tips from ‘fantastic specimen’ Killian was last modified: February 14th, 2018 by Elaine McCalligShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:coco televisionfirst dateskillianmichelle