All students and staff members associated with Notre Dame programs in Chile are accounted for and safe after an 8.8-magnitude earthquake hit the country Saturday, a University press release said. “For the second time this semester, we are immensely grateful that Notre Dame students, faculty and staff are safe in the wake of a devastating natural disaster,” University President Fr. John Jenkins said. “As was the case last month for Haitians after an earthquake hit that nation, the prayers of the Notre Dame family now are with the people of Chile.” Members of the Congregation of Holy Cross working in Chile were also reported to be safe. The University will monitor the situation in the coming days to determine whether to continue with its programs in Chile this semester. The Notre Dame study abroad program in Chile was established in 1993 and is based in Santiago. Students take most of their courses at the Pontificia Universidad Catolica. The Alliance for Catholic Education program in Chile is an 18-month program that involves teaching for one year at St. George’s College in Santiago, certification in teaching English as a new language and Spanish language immersion. The University has 19 undergraduate students and two staff members studying and working in Santiago, the site of the University’s study abroad program. Five graduate students are also in Santiago for Notre Dame’s Alliance for Catholic Education program, along with one staff member from the MBA program.
French prosecutors said Thursday that they had opened an inquiry into dozens of doctors prescribing antibiotics and other drugs as a purported treatment for autism in children, potentially endangering their health.The investigation comes after an alert by France’s ANSM medicines watchdog that doctors were prescribing long-term courses of antibiotics and drugs against metal poisoning to autistic children.According to Olivia Cattan, who heads the help group SOS Autisme and has written a book on the practice, some 50 doctors in France are thought to be treating up to 5,000 children this way. Topics : Such prescriptions have been linked to controversial ideas from Nobel Medicine Prize laureate Luc Montagnier, honored in 2008 for his co-discovery of the virus that causes AIDS, but frequently dismissed by the medical community for his unconventional ideas in recent years.The Paris prosecutor’s office said its public health department has been entrusted with the probe into charges of “endangering the lives of others” and “offences related to research involving human beings.”On Tuesday, the ANSM said it had referred the matter, flagged by Cattan, to prosecutors after collecting evidence including parents’ testimony and prescription sheets.The watchdog said the children were prescribed antibiotics, anti-fungal, anti-parasitic or anti-viral drugs, as well as treatments for heavy metal ingestion that are normally reserved for use in case of poisoning. The ANSM “formally advises against these uses, for which these drugs have not shown to be effective and which put these children at risk, particularly with prolonged use.”Effects can include digestive, cardiovascular and skin disorders, while misuse of antibiotics can lead to drug resistance that undermines the effectiveness of future treatments.The ANSM has also alerted French doctors’ and pharmacists’ associations.Montagnier has repeatedly suggested that infection may be what causes autism, and set up much-criticized experiments to prove it.He has claimed that parents and doctors have observed benefits from long-term antibiotic treatment, but most medical professionals remain skeptical of the assertion.Montagnier is not the only French medical expert to court controversy with unorthodox treatments.Didier Raoult, a doctor in the southern city of Marseille, has been promoting hydroxychloroquine, usually used in cases of malaria, rheumatoid arthritis and lupus, as a treatment for Covid-19 — a remedy vaunted by Donald Trump but shot down by clinical research.
Teresita Sinceda of the Ati based atSitio Marikudo in Isabela, Negros Occidental, said on Thursday she was gratefulfor the opportunity to work with the National Commission for Culture and theArts (NCCA), which established the School of Living Tradition learning centerin their community that led to the revival of the Ati cultural heritage. “Through the NCCA’s Dayaw, we have theopportunity to show our culture and meet fellow IPs in the country,” shesaid. “Through the IPs Month celebration,the government is recognizing the significant role, the participation, and thecontribution of the indigenous peoples’ communities in nation-building,” Tesoroadded. These include oral traditions andexpressions; performing arts; social practices, rituals, and festive events;knowledge and practices concerning nature and the universe; and traditionalcraftsmanship.(With a report from PNA/PN) The 2019 theme, “Vital Wisdoms:Learning with the IPs,” highlights the Intangible Cultural Heritage groupedinto five domains by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and CulturalOrganization. Felicitas Catedrilla, who representedthe Ati of Capiz, Iloilo and Guimaras; Jacquilyn Flores, Ati of NegrosOccidental Cluster; and Delia Pauden, Ati of Antique and Aklan Cluster, alsojoined the celebration. Catedrilla said through the assistanceof the NCCA, together with the National Commission on IPs and the Department ofSocial Welfare and Development, they have availed of the various governmentprograms. Lawyer Gerri Ann Villaruel, vice headof the Committee on Central Cultural Communities (CCCC), said “Dayaw” is theflagship program of the Sub-Commission on Cultural Communities and TraditionalArts (SCCTA) in celebrating the IPs Month to highlight the uniqueness ofindigenous cultural communities across the country. The “Kupoy,” a chicken courtship danceritual, was performed by two members of the Ati Marikudo tribe duringevent. BACOLOD City – The Indigenous Peoples(IPs) of Western Visayas celebrated the IPs Month for another leg of the “DayawSuroy” Media Caravan 2019. “I’m so thankful the program of theNCCA has reached us. The lost culture of our forefathers has been revived. Nowour children know how to dance the ‘Kupoy’ and understand its meaning. They nowplay the traditional games,” Sinceda said in Hiligaynon. The SCCTA, headed by CommissionerAlphonsus Tesoro, spearheads the observance of the National IPs Month everyOctober yearly, as provided in the Presidential Proclamation 1906 signed in2009. Lawyer Gerri Ann Villaruel (2nd from left), vice head of the Committee on Central Cultural Communities, talks about “Dayaw,” in celebrating the Indigenous Peoples’ Month in Bacolod City on Thursday. NANETTE L. GUADALQUIVER/PNA “We hope that we can work together forthe preservation of the indigenous cultural heritage,” said Villaruel, whohails from the Sulod/Bukidnon Cluster.
According to ISAT-U’s Public InformationOffice, the masks were made by community partners that were also the recipientsof the livelihood skills training conducted by the university through the ExtensionServices Division. ISAT-U President Raul Muyong led theturn-over of the first batch of the face masks. A thousand pieces weredelivered to the Iloilo City Hall, while 100 pieces were given to the NationalEconomic and Development Authority Region 6 on March 25. ISAT-U President Raul Muyong led the turn-over of the first batch of the face masks. A thousand pieces were delivered to the Iloilo City Hall, while 100 pieces were given to the National Economic and Development Authority Region 6 on March 25. PHOTO COURTESY OF ISAT-U ILOILO City – The Iloilo Science andTechnology University (ISAT-U) will produce a total of 7,000 face masks whichwill be handed out to assist the frontliners in curbing the spread of thecoronavirus disease 2019 outbreak. The personal protective equipment willbe delivered to various front line institutions as soon as production will becompleted.(With a report from PIA/PN) Aside from face masks, ISAT-U will alsobe producing aerosol boxes for intubation and face shields through the ISAT-Uprototyping and fabrication laboratory in the research hub.
Press Association “As you would expect with a position of this magnitude, there has been a lot of interest. However, there is no definitive timescale on an appointment as we are carefully examining all of the options available to us. “I am sure that you have read and heard all kinds of rumours and speculation about potential targets, but much of this is guesswork. “We have had contact with some interested parties already and have others to speak to in the coming days. “As soon as we have identified the right person to take the club forward, we will make an announcement.” Former Brighton boss Gus Poyet remains the bookmakers’ favourite after confirming his interest in the vacant post, while Stuart Pearce’s odds were slashed overnight. Ball has indicated he would like to be considered for the permanent role, and former Manchester United coach Rene Meulensteen also figures prominently in the betting. Chief executive Margaret Byrne has revealed Sunderland will speak to several more potential managers in the coming week as they continue the search for Paolo Di Canio’s replacement. A week since announcing the 45-year-old Italian had been shown the door at the Stadium of Light, the Black Cats remain in the process of assessing their options with Kevin Ball having been handed the role of interim head coach. Writing in her programme notes ahead of Sunday’s Barclays Premier League clash with Liverpool, Byrne said: “Clearly as a matter of priority, our efforts are presently focused on appointing a new head coach.
Press Association Arsene Wenger was left to reflect on what could have been after victory over Hull kept Arsenal on course for the Champions League but long since out of the title race. Liverpool now appear champions-elect and while Wenger praised their performances, he insisted things could have been different. Brendan Rodgers’ side have also not had to contend with European football, unlike all their main rivals. Wenger said: “The table is very close. Liverpool have played very well in the second part of the season and I wouldn’t like to take anything away from them, but they had (the advantage) that they could focus completely on the Premiership. “If you look at the injuries, the players we missed plus the schedule we had, it was much heavier than Liverpool. “We lost (Theo) Walcott on an accident, we lost Ozil – we haven’t really found why – Ramsey, maybe we overplayed him a little bit and should have rested him before he was injured.” Arsenal also still have a chance to prevent their trophy drought stretching to nine years when they face Hull again in May 17’s FA Cup final. But Wenger said: “What is important is that we finish as strongly as we can in the Premier League. After that, the cup final will be completely different.” Ramsey’s goal was added to by two from Lukas Podolski, leaving Tigers manager Steve Bruce frustrated that a creditable first-half performance went unrewarded. The Gunners began 2014 top of the Barclays Premier League – and indeed had been seven points clear at the end of November – but have tailed off in the second half of the season and must now hold off fast-finishing Everton for fourth place. Injuries have played their part, but a goal from fit-again Aaron Ramsey sparked a 3-0 win over the Tigers in a game which also saw Mesut Ozil’s first appearance since March 11. He was also left sweating on injuries to two of his most potent attackers after a calf injury forced Shane Long off at half-time, with Sone Aluko already absent from the matchday squad with a hamstring problem. Long’s partnership with fellow January signing Nikica Jelavic has been key in keeping Hull at arm’s length from the relegation zone and with safety not quite assured, a lengthy absence would be cause for concern. “He’s got a calf injury,” said Bruce of the Republic of Ireland international. “We’ll see how he is but he’s got a whack to the back of his calf. “He’ll be touch and go for the weekend (away to Fulham), I would have thought.” Aluko has missed much of the season with Achilles problems and his latest injury, suffered in training, is likely to keep him out of the Fulham clash. “Sone Aluko unfortunately nicked a hamstring on Thursday,” said Bruce. “It’s unfortunate because we were just seeing Sone again. “It’s getting a bit too often with Sone, we get him up to speed and unfortunately he breaks down again and that’s a disappointment. “I think he’s only played three 90 minutes this season so it’s a real concern.”
Assam clinch senior mixed team title at North East Zone Inter-State Badminton ChampionshipOur Sports ReporterGUWAHATI: Yonex Sunrise North East Zone Inter-State Badminton Championship held at Dimapur concluded today. In the Senior Mixed Team Championship Assam emerged champion and Manipur finished as Runner-up.In the Junior mixed team category, Manipur bagged the title while Assam ended the competition staying in the second spot.The winners in the team Championship are qulified for the Senior National and Junior National Badminton Championship respectively. The finals and the closing ceremony was graced by the Chief Minister of Nagaland Neiphu Rio and Secretary ( Events) BAI Omar Rashid.
Junior linebacker Chris Borland played like a man possessed against UTEP Saturday. Registering 12 tackles (3.5 of them for a loss) and two sacks, Borland served as a constant force in the Badgers pass rush, blitzing off the edges as well as on delays up the middle.[/media-credit]Nick Lamaison looked poised and confident as he led the Miners on a clock-eating drive, converting three consecutive third downs. Down 23-16, University of Texas at El Paso’s offense appeared destined for the end zone before a key pass breakup from free safety Dezmen Southward forced a field goal.It was a familiar situation for Wisconsin (3-1) – a team that has yet to maintain a comfortable lead late through its first three nonconference games – in its 37-26 victory at Camp Randall Saturday afternoon.“I told the guys in the locker room, nothing really comes easy to this group,” head coach Bret Bielema said. “But I was very excited for this day to get here because I thought we’d really find out what kind of guys we have.”Another upset to a team from a non-automatic qualifying conference in clear view, middle linebacker Chris Borland kept a sense of urgency but not panic as his defense tried to blockade the all-important final drive. Despite an early lead Wisconsin extended to 17 points in the second quarter, the pressure fell on the defense to keep the Badgers’ four point lead safe.“We just got to buckle down,” Borland, who led all UW players with 12 tackles (3.5 for a loss) and two sacks, said. “We’ve been in that situation a few times this year, and I think we’ve got a lot of mature guys on our defense that understand when it’s ‘go time,’ when it’s make-or-break, when it’s the game.”With redshirt freshman Joel Stave starting the first game of his career at quarterback, the Badgers’ offense managed 423 total yards under his direction, the ground game regaining its footing with 213 rushing yards.But UW failed to build a safe lead until less than four minutes remained in the game, when a 2-yard run from James White put the Badgers ahead by 11.Though UTEP (1-3) jumped out to an early lead on a 39-yard toss by Lamaison to wide receiver Mike Edwards, Stave took control in the second quarter on a 47-yard bomb to a wide-open Jared Abbrederis streaking down the right sideline. That playbook-opening drive took UW’s lead to 23-6 with less than five minutes before halftime, with the Badgers appearing to have finally found a steady offensive rhythm.With two goal-line scores from Montee Ball and White earlier in the quarter, offensive coordinator Matt Canada showed creative looks in the first half. But Ball’s run would knock him out of the game less than a minute into the second quarter after his helmet collided with that of a Miners defender across the goal line.“There were times that we were in that rhythm and getting it going and there were times that we were stalling out,” center Travis Frederick said. “It’s just a matter for us of being able to continue that rhythm throughout the entire game.”Not scoring after halftime until the 3:20 mark in the fourth quarter, the Badgers’ offense received a surprising boost from redshirt freshman running back Melvin Gordon. Gordon took his first carries of the season against Utah State and 64 of his 112 yards came in the second half.Passing the century mark on only eight carries (14 yards per carry), a pair of 20-plus yard runs from Gordon in the fourth – one of which ended with Wisconsin’s final touchdown of the game – helped seal the victory. With Ball out early, much of the rushing load fell on the explosive redshirt freshman’s shoulders.“You got to wait your turn, you got some great guys ahead of you,” Gordon said of his workload this year. “I’m not going to pout about it … when an opportunity comes like today, you got to take full advantage of it.”As the Badgers’ offense floundered in its scoreless third quarter, the defense started showing signs of wear, giving up a touchdown in the third and 10 more points in the final quarter. And though linebacker Mike Taylor refuted the idea that the defense began to run out of steam late, UTEP’s offense controlled the ball for over 18 of the game’s final 30 minutes.A defensive line riddled with injuries and at times playing with only one full-time starter, defensive tackle Beau Allen, broke down in the third quarter, surrendering 41 rushing yards. Eight of those yards came on a touchdown run from Miners running back Xay Williams, finishing off a drive they started on their own 25-yard line.The defense, led by one of the best individual performances of Borland’s career, bended but refused to break, holding on just long enough to keep Wisconsin with one loss heading into Big Ten play. But Borland pointed out that such inconsistency and critical missteps on the defensive side likely won’t be sufficient to win in Lincoln, Neb., next weekend.“We’re not where we wanted to be – in the end we wanted to come into the Big Ten season 4-0,” Frederick said. “But I think we’re on the right track, I think we’re going to continue to improve and continue to embrace the adversity that we’ve had and move forward.”Of Note: Joel Stave was the first freshman quarterback to start for the Badgers since Jim Sorgi did so on Oct. 21, 2000; the blocked extra point from sophomore defensive end Konrad Zagzebski was UW’ s first since J.J. Watt’s in September 2010; Borland’s 12 tackles marked his first double-digit tackle total this season; Gordon’s 26-yard touchdown run in the fourth was the longest running play of the season; freshman kicker Jack Russell made his Wisconsin debut, knocking in three extra point tries; Saturday’s win was the Badgers’ 19th-straight at home, a streak dating back to October 2009.Follow Ian on Twitter
John says the Club makes a significant annual contribution to covering this cost to the Tipp GAA authorities. Tipperary Supporters Club says the fundraising it does helps the County Board to meet the ‘demands’ on it.PRO John Coman made his comments as the Club launched a drive to sign up new members for 2017.It was set up in 1986 by then manager Babs Keating to raise money to pay for the training and preparation of the county senior hurling panel.
French rider Yannis Yssaad has won today’s stage of the An Post Rás from Dungloe to Donegal.Philip Lavery of Panduit Tipperary was the first county rider home today in 11th place.Carrick on Suir’s Michael O’Loughlin retained his hold on the Under 23 classification – the Team Wiggins rider is still 9th overall. James Gullen of JLT Condor is still the overall leader.