given the many events planned for Guyana’s 50th Independence anniversary celebrations, over the coming celebratory days, Minister of Public Security Khemraj Ramjattan has announced that, in collaboration with the Guyana Police Force (GPF), the 2:00 am curfew will be temporarily adjusted until May 30, 2016.According to a release from the Ministry, the curfew is now 4:00 am effective Friday, May 20, 2016.“(The Ministry) will temporarily relax the enforcement of the 2 am business deadline to 4 am for bars, night clubs and other places of entertainment. It is a time for celebration and knowing the Guyanese spirit, the Ministry has seen the need for this relaxation,” the release stated.Nevertheless, the ministry has cautioned businesses and individuals that the Police Force will continue to investigate and prosecute noise nuisance reports, drinking and driving, and other offences during this period.A similar adjusted was done during the Christmas season.Ever since the coalition APNU/AFC took office in May 2015, it enforced the curfew, which has faced a barrage of criticisms, with many persons describing it as antibusiness.However, Minister Ramjattan argued that the curfew was part of his crime fighting strategy.
After a startling turnaround from gang member to gang interventionist, Mario Corona’s life took a darker twist Friday when he pleaded no contest to narcotics and firearm charges. The one-time gang leader from Pacoima had gone back to school and worked his way through Pierce College and California State University, Northridge, then earned a master’s degree from the University of Southern California. Lauded by the community for his work diverting kids from gangs, he appeared to be the picture of success – until he was arrested Feb. 28 with nearly a pound of methamphetamine in his car. On Friday, he pleaded no contest to transportation of a controlled substance and being a felon in possession of a firearm, a 9 mm handgun found in his house. “Unfortunately, the image Mario Corona was portraying of assisting troubled youth and gang members was not accurate,” Los Angeles County Deputy District Attorney Jack Garden said in a statement. “This plea today demonstrates he continued his criminal activity, including dealing in a significant amount of methamphetamine and possessing a gun.” Under terms of the plea, Corona, 30, of Panorama City will serve 32 months in prison when sentenced May 25. He’s also facing deportation to Mexico upon his release. Prosecutors characterized him as an illegal immigrant, which his family and attorney disputed. Prior to his arrest, Corona had been a popular and respected presence at Communities in Schools, a North Hills-based job services and gang intervention agency. Where they once hailed him for his work ethic, co-workers decried him for what they described as greed and selfishness. “He chose to lead a double life at the expense of our credibility,” CIS President Bobby Arias said. “I told him that this is a selfish act. We hope he can bounce back, but he’s not going to do it with our organization.” Corona had hoped to attend law school or earn a doctorate in sociology or criminal justice. He said he planned to write books and work with gang members looking for ways to reform their lives. “Before this moment, Mario had done a lot of good work helping people,” said his attorney, Aron Laub. “In the future, Mario will again be doing a lot of good work helping people. I guarantee that today’s events will not be the defining moment in his life.” email@example.com (818) 713-3738160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Claudio Ranieri was disappointed after Leicester drew with Aston Villa and blew their chance to go further clear at the top of the Barclays Premier League.The Foxes lead the table by a point following Saturday’s 1-1 draw in Birmingham, where Shinji Okazaki’s fifth goal of the season put the visitors ahead.Mark Bunn kept Villa within touching distance by saving Riyad Mahrez’s first-half penalty, allowing Rudy Gestede to cash in with 15 minutes left.The substitute’s deflected effort beat Kasper Schmeichel and left Ranieri frustrated after missing the chance to move three points clear.“Yes, we lost two points,” he said. “We started very well and scored a goal but after the missed penalty the Aston Villa players took a new energy. If we score a second goal, we close the match.“We are very sad but also I say to the players ‘if we make the performance the result is not important’. The performance was good because we played well in the first half. “It’s one point, it’s okay, it’s a derby – but we are disappointed.”Things could have been so different had Mahrez not missed a second successive penalty, but Ranieri refused to say whether the winger would lose spot-kick duties.“Now is not important if I change the penalty man,” the Italian said. “I’ll speak with him and then I’ll choose.“From the bench it was difficult to see if it was handball but if it’s a penalty it’s a red card.” 1 Riyad Mahrez missed a penalty
Arsene Wenger led Arsenal to FA Cup glory Arsene Wenger has agreed a two-year contract to continue as Arsenal manager.The Frenchman, who has faced protests from fans calling for him to go, has been keeping everyone guessing about his future.But it is understood that Wenger accepted the offer of a new deal at a board meeting on Tuesday morning.The contract, which will run until 2019, will extend his reign at the north London club to 23 years.Arsenal are expected to confirm the 67-year-old is staying on at a press conference on Wednesday.Wenger’s future has been the subject of intense debate all season.The Gunners again failed to mount a Premier League title challenge, finishing fifth to miss out on a Champions League spot.But they ended the campaign on a high by beating Chelsea to win the FA Cup for a seventh time under Wenger.Wenger, unknown when he was appointed Arsenal manager in 1996, enjoyed huge success at the start of his reign.He led the north Londoners to three league titles and four FA Cups in his first nine years at the helm.However, after their 2005 FA Cup triumph, it was another nine years before the club won any further silverware.The drought ended in the same competition in 2014 and Arsenal have gone on to win the trophy another two times since then.That has not been enough to appease all Arsenal fans, though, and there have been protests demanding a managerial change.But Wenger is not ready to walk away – and he has the backing of owner Stan Kroenke. 1
THERE was a record turn-out for the even ages categories of the county cross country championships in Castlefinn.Here are the results from the Under 18s. ATHLETICS: COUNTY CROSS COUNTRY RESULTS – UNDER 18s was last modified: October 8th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:ATHLETICS: COUNTY CROSS COUNTRY RESULTS – UNDER 18s
According to the recent poll by the Tirconnail Tribune, there might be no women representing the Milford-Letterkenny area on Donegal County Council.Grace Boyle with her husband James at the Town Hall in Ramelton for the launch of her campaign.Speaking at the weekend, Grace Boyle called on the electorate to support women who put themselves forward.“According to the poll carried out by the Tirconnail Tribune, I have a chance of causing an upset and taking a seat on Donegal County Council. “But if the electorate don’t get behind me and the other female candidate, Siobhan McLaughlin of Labour, then we could be left with a situation where 10 seats are filled by 10 men.“As far as I am aware, not one woman has been elected to represent this area – although women have been co-opted onto the Council over the years. Women bring a different perspective to life, community and business and a good mix of male and female representation is essential for a well balanced Council”.Boyle said that many of the male candidates that have put themselves forward are businessmen of some type or another.“While a good business head will be of great benefit in the Council – do we want a room full of businessmen representing our area? Whereas, if you look at the female candidates, we are community focused. “I have been involved with community initiatives such as the Donegal Hospice, the North West 10k and the Donegal GAA for many years. I will need as many Number 1 votes as possible if I am going to have any chance of taking a seat”.The well-known local community activist said you only have to look at what Fine Gael MEP Mairead McGuinness has achieved to see what a woman can bring to politics.“She is currently topping the poll in the Midlands North-West constituency for the European election. I would call on the electorate to get behind your female candidates. It takes a lot of courage and determination to put yourself forward and it is only by electing female candidates that we will encourage more to come forward in future.”POLL SUGGESTS NO WOMEN WILL BE REPRESENTING THE MILFORD-LETTERKENNY AREA – BOYLE was last modified: May 19th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalElectionsGrace BoyleWomen
Finn Harps make their first trip to Stradbrook on Friday evening as they face league newboys Cabinteely who will be looking to bounce back after a 7-0 defeat at the hands of Wexford Youths last.While Harps were cementing their place at the top of the First Division table against Shelbourne at Finn Park, Cabinteely were on the wrong end of Wexford Youths’ record league victory.However, Harps boss Ollie Horgan has warned that Cabinteely will be looking to make amends against his side on Friday evening. “Cabinteely was always a very difficult game and even more so after a defeat,” said Horgan. “Eddie Gormely and Dave Mackey will have them as always excellently organised and prepared and will have their homework done on us also.“I think Kevin Knight missed last week for them and he will be a big addition to have back,” said Horgan of Friday’s opponents. “They have also players of the quality of Shane O’Neill, Ger Pender, Rob Maloney and Jamie McGlynn. It should be remembered that Cabinteely have already beaten Wexford and Waterford at home,” warned the Harps boss.Last weekend, Harps were victors over Shelbourne at Finn Park which extended their unbeaten start to the season. However, despite again keeping a clean sheet – their seventh in eight games – Horgan said there is still room for improvement.“We were decent enough in the first half on Friday and possibly shaded it up to half time but Shelbourne were the better team in the second half and deserved something out of the game,” said Horgan. “They had a number of free-kicks and corners including one that Gareth Harkin cleared off the line. I was happy enough at half time in the way we played and although we went on to win it in the second half, we stopped playing for most of it and Shelbourne took over.“I have no doubt that Shelbourne will be up there at the end of the season, its just past the quarter stage of the season with plenty still be play for.”Kevin McHugh’s 179th goal for the club – courtesy of an 80th minute penalty – was enough to give Harps the 1-0 victory over Shelbourne last Friday night.The result brought Harps’ unbeaten opening to the season to eight games and it means their second best start to a league campaign after eight games.The only time Harps have had a better record at this stage of a league campaign was in the 1972/73 season when they had seven wins and a draw to show from their opening eight league games. On three other occasions – in 1975/76, 1983/84 and 2003 – Harps have also been unbeaten after eight games, but with more draws on the board than in this season or in 1972/73. Each of those four previous seasons has also seen the unbeaten run extend beyond eight games – it remains to be seen if the current squad can extend the run a little further.The earlier season meeting of Harps and Cabinteely at Finn Park saw the home side run out 2-0 winners thanks to goals in each half from Ruairi Keating.TEAM NEWSSuspended: None. Doubtful: Damien McNulty.Injured: Packie Mailey, Brian McGrory.FORM GUIDE (last six league games)Finn Harps: W-W-D-W-W-W (16 pts)Cabinteely: L-W-L-L-D-L (4 pts)UNBEATEN HARPS HOPING THEY DON’T SUFFER ANY ‘CABIN’ FEVER was last modified: April 29th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Cabinteelydonegalfinn harps
Donegal Deputy Charlie McConalogue says major gaps in apprenticeship trades could cause major issues for house delivery.New figures released to Fianna Fáil reveal shocking skills gaps across a range of apprenticeship courses.Deputy McConalogue says this new information exposes a worrying trend in the apprenticeship sector – there simply aren’t enough people training in trades – and this could have a major knock on effect on our ability to build the number of homes we need to meet demand. “These figures reveal that at the end of Q1 2018 there were only 122 apprentices in brick and stone laying, 69 in plastering and zero in floor and wall tiling. This is nowhere near the number of apprentices we need to sustain a viable construction industry. The Construction Industry Federation is forecasting demand for 112,000 workers by 2020 to meet the demand for housing and infrastructure projects. Based on the figures from the Minister, we are nowhere near that.“Unless the government changes its approach and policy towards apprenticeships we are heading for a serious skills shortage. Ministers appear to be failing to grasp the reality that tradespeople are an integral part of the construction sector. We need tradespeople to build homes.“This skills shortage needs to be tackled, and quickly. There is no point in having five year plans or policy documents if there are not enough skilled workers to ensure that the works can be undertaken and completed”.Apprenticeship shortages could threaten housing delivery – McConalogue was last modified: May 1st, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
As the final score would suggest, the South Fork girls got plenty of offense on their way to the school’s first-ever North Coast Section championship in softball on Tuesday evening.The Cubs traveled to Geyserville and knocked off the home team 22-5 for the Division-VI crown, putting together what could have been their most impressive performance of the year.“They played really well as a team,” South Fork head coach Lisa Todd said after the win.The Cubs got multiple hits from multiple …