TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Real Madrid midfielder Modric signs with Mendes as Juventus circleby Carlos Volcano9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveReal Madrid midfielder Luka Modric has joined super agent Jorge Mendes’ stable.Juventus are being linked with the veteran.Mediaset says the Ballon d’Or winner was linked with a move to Inter Milan after last year’s World Cup after six years at the Bernabeu.Mendes has been drafted in by the 33-year-old to facilitate a potential switch to Italy.Inter are desperate to take Modric to the San Siro but they could struggle to convince him to move to Milan if Juve are a viable option.The Milan outfit have offered the ex-Tottenham man a lucrative four-year deal worth nine million-a-year.
About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Man Utd hero Scholes: Sell Pogba – he’s not a big loss!by Freddie Taylora month agoSend to a friendShare the lovePaul Scholes says Manchester United will not miss Paul Pogba. The World Cup winner wants to leave the club from Real Madrid.Red Devils legend Scholes thinks the club could deal with losing the talented midfielder.”I think it’s quite clear he wants to move on,” said Scholes, a 13-time Premier League winner.”He wanted to go to Real Madrid, for whatever reason it didn’t happen.”I wouldn’t be surprised if the same offer had been made like with Cristiano when he was at United.”If they’ve asked him to stay for a year we’ll see what happens, but I don’t think he’ll be a big loss to United.”I don’t think his form has been great anyway, over the two or three years he’s been there. I’m sure there are more players who can do just as good a job.”
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Man Utd social media abuse unbelievable – Mataby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United midfielder Juan Mata has found the abuse he gets on social media as “unbelievable”.Mata and his under-fire team-mates have endured a stuttering start to the season that has seen the pressure pile on manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.Speaking to The Times, he said: “As players, we all have to take responsibility. We are United. There are many people outside waiting for United not to be good and enjoying it when we don’t do well.”We have two options: to stick together or let that criticism and that enjoyment from others at our results affect us in a way that we divide ourselves. One weekend you’re an idol, you score the winner, and three days later you miss a big chance and you’re a villain.“The repercussions of every single action in a game is unbelievable. It can be turned into a video seen by millions instantly on Twitter or Instagram , missing a penalty, making a mistake, and it’s seen as ‘a tragedy’ on many smartphones and in many minds.”
Twitter/@lukezimKansas is not very good at football. That much is true. Many picked the Jayhawks to lose to FCS power South Dakota State, and lose they did. The Jayhawks actually held it close until the end, with a chance to win the game on the final play. That…did not quite work out. In an attempt to spike the ball, quarterback Montell Cozart fumbled the snap, recovered it but was ruled down, and then attempted to spike the ball from the ground. He tried to quickly take another snap and spike, but the clock ran out before the Jayhawks could run a play.We’re sorry, KU fans, but here is the video, via SB Nation’s Luke Zimmermann.Not like this, Kansas pic.twitter.com/W4LQB07AKH— Luke Zimmermann (@lukezim) September 5, 2015Basketball season is closer than you think, Jayhawks.
Napoli are “the best option” for James Rodriguez, claims the Colombian’s father, with a transfer to Italy favoured over one to England if another move away from Real Madrid is made.The South American playmaker has registered on the recruitment radar of those in the Premier League for some time, with the likes of Arsenal and Manchester United credited with interest.Speculation has surfaced again this summer, with the exit door having been flung open at the Santiago Bernabeu. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? James is back in Spain after a two-year loan spell at Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich.They will not be taking up a purchase option and the 27-year-old is expected to remain out of favour in Madrid with Zinedine Zidane back at the Blancos’ helm.With another change of scenery likely, James’ father believes a reunion with Carlo Ancelotti in Serie A – a coach the former Porto star has previously worked with at Real and Bayern – makes the most sense.“I think a new change is what he needs for his career now, and [fellow Colombian] David Ospina is at Napoli now and I think he is very important,” Wilson Rodriguez told CalcioNapoli.“Napoli are the best option for him.“He has character and personality. Even at times of adversity, he’s always come out strongly. He was born for this, thank God.“Between him and Ancelotti, there was immediately a lot of respect. James is grateful to Carlo for what he did, he knows how to get the best out of him and that contributed to their great friendship.“The coach has always been very happy with his performances. I’ve heard about [the speculation] and I think a change is what he needs right now.”James, who also took in a spell with Monaco in Ligue 1 before heading to Madrid in 2014, is considered to have played the best football of his career to date under current Napoli boss Ancelotti.“Porto, Spain, Bayern, are all very different situations that I believe he has always faced with the same attitude,” Rodriguez senior added.“His best season remains that in Madrid with Carlo Ancelotti, but I am optimistic for the future.”
Filipe Luis said he hopes Paris Saint-Germain star Neymar returns to La Liga champions Barcelona for the good of Brazilian football.Neymar wants to leave Ligue 1 holders PSG, with a move back to former club Barca on the cards two years on from his world-record €222 million (£199m/$249m) exit.Real Madrid are another possible destination for Neymar, whose future is dominating headlines during the off-season. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? PSG sporting director Leonardo has conceded Neymar can leave, but he has said no club have made an acceptable offer for the star. While Filipe Luis would like to see his Brazil team-mate return to Camp Nou, the former Atletico Madrid full-back acknowledged it will not be easy.”I want him to finish in Barcelona,” Filipe Luis told Cope’s Tiempo de Juego program.”At Barca, Neymar is happy. I want him to enjoy and play next to [Lionel] Messi.”I hope, for the good of Brazilian football, that Neymar returns to Barca, but I think it will not be easy.”Filipe Luis was speaking having confirmed his departure from Atletico following eight seasons with the La Liga side.The 33-year-old – who started his career at Figueirense – is reportedly set to return to Brazil via Flamengo on a free transfer.It has been a busy off-season for Atletico, who have lost Antoine Griezmann, Lucas Hernandez, Rodri and Diego Godin but signed Joao Felix, Hector Herrera, Marcos Llorente, Kieran Trippier, Felipe and Renan Lodi.Atletico have also been linked with Real Madrid and Colombia playmaker James Rodriguez, who is wanted by Serie A side Napoli.Napoli have been vocal in their pursuit, with coach Carlo Ancelotti hoping for a reunion with the player he coached at Real Madrid and Bayern Munich, but Filipe Luis is hopeful Atletico can land the Colombia star. Filipe Luis added: “Having a player like James at Atletico would be very interesting, it would not be bad. Whoever comes will help but signing James would be spectacular.”
Neymar has revealed that he predicted he would score two goals in Barcelona’s history-making 6-1 Champions League win over Paris Saint-Germain back in 2017.Trailing 4-0 after being humbled in the first leg in France, Barca returned to Camp Nou in need of a miracle.And, after producing a sensational performance in the return meeting, they pulled off what seemed to be the impossible to put six past the French side and advance to the quarter-finals. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? Neymar, however, claims that he always knew the Blaugrana would win at home and that he would play his part in turning a disastrous first-leg result on its head.”Two of my friends said that PSG had a great team – and they did – and that they had already qualified, this and that…” the 27-year-old told DAZN.”But I got up and said: ‘You are my friends, you work with me, but it seems you don’t believe we can turn this game around. We will reverse this situation, and I promise you two goals’.”We had trained in the morning and I saw each player’s face. Everyone was happy, nobody was down or worried about reversing the situation against PSG. We knew it would be very difficult to reverse the game. “Our conversation was about playing football as it had always been Barcelona’s play to display good football, to turn a football game into a show. “We knew we would win. We didn’t know if we would go through to the next round, but we knew we would win because we knew we would play our part very well.“When the game began, it started with a different vibe. I was challenging everyone, running more than ever. It was one of, if not the biggest match I’ve ever played in and one of the most emotional.”We scored the first two goals quickly so we were thrilled. We went into half-time 2-0 up with two more goals to score. The team we had was different – we didn’t go about screaming in the dressing room. No, it was a conversation. “We were very calm, very focused, relaxed and the only conversation I remember having was: ‘Keep calm, let’s do it goal by goal’. We were not worried about going into the next round. I think that’s why we played really well that day. We were not desperate. We were quiet and focused.”The atmosphere after the second goal was different. We saw that the fans were believing. They kept shouting, encouraging us.”When we scored the third goal, it was Leo [Messi] who scored. I won the penalty, he scored it. The fans were on fire and we thought: ‘Let’s go, now we’re going to go through’.”At that moment, we suffered a blow, [Edinson] Cavani’s goal. When we conceded the goal, we saw everyone was half-hearted, doing that face: ‘We’re f*cked’. It became more difficult, it was practically impossible. Everyone thought we would score another, but now we had to score three.“We still tried to keep playing our football, to continue to score goals, to see what would happen. We just hoped not to concede any more goals. One goal had already complicated things because we had to score three. Two? Forget about it.”I still believed. I still wanted to score those two goals I promised to my friends. Oh, it gives me shivers, a lot of strong emotions definitely.”With 88 minutes gone, Neymar curled a spectacular free-kick into the top-left corner to deliver the first half of his promise and take the score 4-1 in Barca’s favour, although it remained 5-4 to PSG on aggregate. Moments later, Luis Suarez won a penalty and it was the Brazilian who was charged with the responsibility to take it.”I was going to give it to Leo, but Leo told me to take the penalty,” Neymar recalled. “He said: ‘No, you go’. I said: ‘Me?’ He said: ‘Yes, you do it’.”My only thought was that I could not miss that penalty, because if I missed the penalty I would end the stadium’s dream of going through to the next round.”It was the most I’ve ever focused on a penalty, and thank God I managed to score. I kept the promise of two goals. That was the moment I thought we had it. I asked Leo: ‘Why did you let me take that penalty?'”He said: ‘I felt at that moment that you would score the goal, that you were more confident’. I think he had that feeling, and it turned out alright. The penalty brought the possibility, the strength, to score the sixth goal.”Only seconds remained of second-half injury time as Barca pushed for a match-winning strike and it was Neymar himself who engineered the move to send Sergi Roberto through on goal to complete one of the greatest Champions League comebacks ever.“In that game, the most striking goal was Sergi Roberto’s,” Neymar said. “It was the goal that made us go through. It’s the goal that will be remembered in history and I’m happy to have made the move, but his goal was special – that’s when the Camp Nou exploded. “That was the most important goal. I think that, in terms of excitement, in terms of making everyone crazy, that was one of the most important goals in Barcelona history.”I wasn’t crying, I was over the moon! It was crazy. I had never seen Camp Nou like that. After the sixth goal, the explosion was huge, both for the players and the fans. It was something that I don’t think I’ll ever live through again.”That’s why I’ll remember it for the rest of my life.”You can watch the full series of The Making Of exclusively on DAZN .
NEW YORK, NY – SEPTEMBER 23: GameDay host Kirk Herbstreit is seen during ESPN’s College GameDay show at Times Square on September 23, 2017 in New York City. (Photo by Mike Stobe/Getty Images)ESPN has issued a formal apology for a comment made by a guest during this morning’s College GameDay show in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.The comment, made by LSU fan James Carville, accused the SEC of cheating in favor of Alabama with regards to the suspension for Tigers’ defensive back Devin White.Carville brought up other SEC players who were ejected during games against Alabama, implying that the SEC refs favor the Crimson Tide.“And now the best defensive player in the conference is not going to play in the first half because of officials,” Carville said. “He did nothing wrong.”“Everybody in the world who saw that tape said he went in their with his hands up,” he continued.ESPN’s College GameDay shared a clip of the segment on social media, but it’s since been deleted.Now, ESPN has issued a formal on-air apology to the Southeastern Conference.Here’s the apology:ESPN just apologized to Greg Sankey for the James Carville take this morning. Lol. pic.twitter.com/PG9WTeLvew— Belle Es You (@SouthernbeLLSU) November 3, 2018That is not something you see every day. In fact, I can’t remember ESPN ever doing something like this in regards to a comment made on College GameDay.Alabama and LSU, meanwhile, are set to kick off at 8 p.m. E.T. The game will be on CBS.
GAINESVILLE, FL – NOVEMBER 25: Ermon Lane #7 of the Florida State Seminoles hauls in a 39-yard reception during the second half of the game against the Florida Gators at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium on November 25, 2017 in Gainesville, Florida. (Photo by Rob Foldy/Getty Images)Florida and Florida State used to be one of the biggest games of Rivalry Week, but the series doesn’t have the same luster it had two decades ago.Still, there’s a lot at stake in today’s game. Florida is 8-3, and a win for the Gators could mean a better draw for a postseason bowl game.Florida State, meanwhile, is 5-6 after last week’s win over Boston College. The Seminoles need to win today to keep the nation’s longest bowl streak going.ESPN has updated its prediction for today’s matchup. The computer likes the Gators on the road.The FPI has Florida with a 76.8 percent chance of winning.Florida and Florida State will kick off at noon ET from Doak Campbell Stadium in Tallahassee.ABC will broadcast the game.
ATLANTA, GA – DECEMBER 01: Head coach Nick Saban of the Alabama Crimson Tide looks on before the 2018 SEC Championship Game against the Georgia Bulldogs at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on December 1, 2018 in Atlanta, Georgia. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)The exodus from Nick Saban’s Alabama football staff may not be over year. Defensive coordinator Tosh Lupoi is weighing his options.Lupoi has been on staff in Tuscaloosa since 2014, when he was a defensive analyst.In 2016, he was upgraded to outside linebackers coach, and was promoted to defensive coordinator in 2017.Lupoi played defensive line at Cal from 2000-05, and coached the position at his alma mater from 2008-11. He had the same position at Washington from 2012-13.Now, he has reportedly looked into a job in the pros, which would be his first at that level.According to Matt Zenitz, Tosh Lupoi has interviewed with the Cleveland Browns for a job on the defensive staff.Quarterbacks coach and interim offensive coordinator Freddie Kitchens was promoted to Browns’ head coach after his strong work with Baker Mayfield as the 2018 season went along.From AL.com:Tosh Lupoi has interviewed with the Cleveland Browns for a defensive position on new coach Freddie Kitchens’ staff, sources told AL.com. Several sources in the coaching community told AL.com they believe it’s likely Lupoi lands with the Browns.Alabama has lost numerous staff members, many of whom are on the offensive end, already this off-season.Mike Locksley accepted the head coaching job at Maryland ahead of the College Football Playoff. His co-offensive coordinator Josh Gattis was set to join him, but instead took over as OC and play caller at Michigan.Quarterbacks coach Dan Enos was expected to take that role but instead took the offensive coordinator job at Miami under Manny Diaz. Offensive line coach Brent Key has also left to work for Geoff Collins at Georgia Tech.Former Alabama OC Steve Sarkisian and Notre Dame OC Chip Long have reportedly interviewed for jobs. Outside of Nick Saban, Alabama’s staff is going to look incredibly different in 2019.[AL.com]