uyjagtaa

Cavani would relish Mourinho chance

By on September 21, 2020

first_img Press Association The 26-year-old Napoli striker is a reported target for the Barclays Premier League club, who have reinstated Mourinho at Stamford Bridge after a six-year absence, while Manchester City have also been linked with an approach for Serie A’s top scorer. Speaking at Uruguay’s pre-Confederations Cup retreat in Brazil, Cavani told Sky Sports News: “The Special One? It would be a pleasure to be managed by someone like him.” Edinson Cavani would relish the chance to work with returning Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho and has admitted talking to other clubs about a summer move.center_img Cavani is among the most highly rated strikers in Europe having hit 29 goals for Napoli in the 2012-13 season and, despite being under contract at the Stadio San Paolo until 2017, he confessed he would enjoy linking up with Portuguese Mourinho in London. The Uruguayan would also consider collaborating with Chilean tactician Manuel Pellegrini, who claims to have a verbal agreement in place to become City’s next manager. He added: “Chelsea? I don’t know if they’ve made an offer for me but I know that working for a coach like Pellegrini or Mourinho would be a great pleasure It would certainly be a great honour to join one of the illustrious teams that are looking at me because I dreamed about doing that as a child. At the moment, though, I am only focused on Uruguay.” Cavani will definitely make a connection with a one-time Chelsea boss when he returns for pre-season training with Napoli, given Rafael Benitez has agreed to take control at San Paolo from the beginning of July. The Spaniard spent seven months as interim boss in west London and his first task will be trying to persuade the prolific Uruguayan to prolong his three-year stint in Naples. “I don’t know if Benitez’s arrival could affect my future,” Cavani added. “Today I have a contract with Napoli but, at the same time, I’m talking to other teams. “Things are bit uncertain at the moment. The only certain thing is that I belong to Napoli and I’m concentrating on Uruguay because we have a tough tournament like the Confederations Cup. After these engagements I will think about my future.” last_img read more

Continue Reading

jgmnnruq

Memela hits two as Micho’s Pirates beat Chiefs in Soweto derby

By on August 13, 2020

first_imgThembinkosi Lorch gave Pirates the lead on 21 minutes in the Soweto cauldron and Colombian Leonardo Castro levelled just before the half hour.Sundowns have 43 points, Pirates 39 and Free State Stars 37 in what is developing into a three-team battle for glory with seven rounds remaining.Maritzburg United and Chiefs share fourth place, eight points adrift of 2016 African champions Sundowns, and it is difficult to imagine either side becoming champions.“I have been waiting a long time for the opportunity to play in a Soweto derby,” said man-of-the-match award winner Memela.“It is a wonderful feeling to score twice but as much as I am happy, I am even happier for my team, Orlando Pirates.”Serbia-born Pirates coach Milutin “Micho” Sredojevic said the second goal was crucial after his team had been regularly overrun in midfield during the opening half. Belgian coach Luc Eymael has transformed Stars from central town Bethlehem into title challengers after many of his predecessors waged struggles against relegation.Maritzburg United snapped a run of losses in all competitions against SuperSport United by forcing a 0-0 draw in Pretoria thanks to many saves from Ghana goalkeeper Richard Ofori.Share on: WhatsApp “Scoring so early in the second half was a blessing for us because clever Chiefs tactics meant we found ourselves outnumbered in the middle of the field for much of the first half.”Chiefs coach Steve Komphela remains trophy-less well into his third season with the club and is sure to face renewed public and media calls to quit after the derby defeat.“Pirates’ second goal killed us,” he admitted. “It boosted their morale, deflated us a little and we had to reshuffle.“It was a good game for neutrals, a good game for the crowd, but a bad result for my team and I.”Ghanaian Mohammed Anas, who went viral last year after thanking his wife and girlfriend in a post-match interview, scored two late goals to give Free State a 2-1 win at bottom club Platinum Stars.center_img Luvuyo Memela celebratesJohannesburg, South Africa | AFP | Soweto derby debutant Luvuyo Memela came off the bench to score twice and hand Orlando Pirates a pulsating 3-1 South African Premiership victory over greatest rivals Kaizer Chiefs Saturday.Memela was introduced for the second half before an 84,000 crowd at the Soccer City stadium and scored within 30 seconds to put Pirates ahead for the second time.His second goal on 74 minutes sealed maximum points for the Buccaneers and kept them hot on the heels of leaders Mamelodi Sundowns in the title race.last_img read more

Continue Reading

bcolfdqf

Prep football star to stand trial for assault, faces 10 years

By on August 12, 2020

first_imgIn this photo provided by the Wayne County, Mich., prosecutor’s office is Jayru Campbell, 17, of Detroit. (AP Photo/Wayne County Prosecutor)Felony, misdemeanor assault charges ‘excessive,’ some sayDETROIT — Excessive is how some describe the charges against Cass Technical High School student-athlete Jayru Campbell.Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy announced at a press conference Feb. 11 the 17-year-old football player will be charged as an adult. Campbell, a junior quarterback, who led his team to back-to-back state championships as a freshman and sophomore in 2011 and 2012, faces a felony charge of assault to do great bodily harm, which carries a maximum 10-year sentence and a misdemeanor of aggravated assault, a one-year prison sentence, for allegedly body slamming a security guard on school premises.“Any defendant would have been charged accordingly,” Worthy said. “Being a talented football player does not change these facts.”A mobile video, titled “Jayru Campbell bodyslam of Cass Tech security guard,” went viral Jan. 22, showing a student at Cass Tech body-slamming a security guard.According to Worthy and earlier news reports of the incident, when asked by the 23-year-old guard to remove his hood inside the building, Campbell refused.In a statement following her announcement, Worthy said Campbell allegedly became “profane, picked the officer up and slammed him on the floor.”A second video and Campbell’s teammate Jamaal Brown tell a different tale. Brown told Fox2 news following the incident that Campbell was protecting himself from the guard. “When somebody puts their hands on you, you got a right to defend yourself,” Brown said.According to another report, the guard “tweeted soon after the incident, ‘Slam me when i’m not looking, lol, pussy. Hit me when i’m looking at you … bet i whoop your ass. I got dropped and got right back up!’ Responding to queries about the incident, the guard also tweeted, ‘Pussy grabbed … up when i wasn’t looking. He then took off when I tried to snatch him up.’”The videos show the guard did not have his back turned when Campbell grabbed him.  The students appear to be yelling at the guard, “Why you gotta instigate?”This paper attempted several times to get information about the guard from DPS and Securitas, the private company that employs him; each attempt was ignored.Emails to DPS about the Campbell incident and security protocol in DPS were also ignored.According to Worthy, the guard sustained facial injuries and an open wound to the head.Jayru Campbell (DPS Photo)Campbell turned himself in to the Detroit Public Schools Police Department prior to being arraigned the morning of Feb. 12 before Magistrate Millicent Sherman who set bail at $5000 with a 10 percent surety.Sherman ordered Campbell not to have contact with the school.Campbell waived his preliminary examination Feb. 24. A March 10 circuit court arraignment is scheduled.Campbell’s attorney Jeff Edison says the teen should not be criminalized. “Our objective is that Mr. Campbell not be criminalized at all,” Edison told the Michigan Citizen.Edison said he doesn’t expect Campbell to receive special treatment.“People are quick to say he’s a celebrity. We’re not making any excuses for him, but we don’t want him to be unnecessarily scrutinized and penalized. It cuts both ways,” he said.Edison, a member of the National Conference of Black Lawyers, added, “there are serious and long-term consequences to the criminalization of youth, particularly in the African American community.”Jayru Campbell’s Attorney Jeffrey Edison talks to the press after his client, Jayru Cambell, was arraigned in district court in Detroit on Wednesday Feb. 12, 2014. in Detroit. Cass Tech quarterback and Michigan State recruit Campbell was arraigned Wednesday morning after being charged with assaulting a school security guard who asked the student to remove a hood he was wearing. (AP Photo/Detroit News, David Coates )“There’s no question that statistically African American youth are over prosecuted and over sentenced and therefore comprise the majority of the prison population simply because of race,” he said. “We’re always concerned — particularly (with) our youth being charged and being sucked into the criminal justice system.” The goal, he says, is that Campbell can move forward and proceed with what’s expected to be a successful future.Edison says whenever there are alternatives to resolving conflicts and dissolving criminal charges “that’s what we certainly should strive for.”Rev. David Bullock of the Change Agent Consortium who in the past worked with youth in Detroit said there needs to be a community conversation about what took place at Cass Tech.“You look at that video and you see two aggressive males. There may be some procedure and protocol questions as it relates to going one-on-one with a student,” he told this reporter. “Even police — when a situation escalates — immediately call for backup. What we saw didn’t look like an adult dealing with a child; it looked like it was (two young people) outside on the street.”More importantly, Bullock says, there’s a culture of the way students are perceived in predominately African American schools. “They’re perceived as threatening and that perception informs how a private security company engages and responds to them. I know for a fact kids at Cranbrook don’t get talked to a certain way.” Bullock says Campbell’s actions have consequences and he must be held accountable. “However, a felony charge seems excessive,” he said.One DPS administrator agrees the charges against Campbell are excessive. “To press felony charges is too much,” says the administrator. “There is a student code of conduct (that deals with student disciplinary actions). In certain incidences you have to consider everything that happened.“My initial reaction is juxtaposed with the killing of McKenzie Cochran (who was killed by three Northland Mall security officers Jan. 23). The attitude of security officers (needs to be addressed). Yes, we have a kid who (should expect consequences for his actions, but) I feel that the charges were too harsh. And that’s a problem in some areas. I see where people want to make a statement, but there’s more information to be gathered.”Campbell committed in August of last year to play for Michigan State University as a freshman in 2015. A spokesperson for the MSU athletic department said she could not comment on a recruit or potential recruit.“It’s NCAA regulation that we are unable to make any comments until they sign a letter of intent,” she told the Michigan Citizen. “For that particular student that wouldn’t be until February 2015.”Special to the NNPA from The Michigan Citizenlast_img read more

Continue Reading