ibfignoo

Call for end to unofficial ban on foreign journalists

By on June 12, 2021

first_img News March 6, 2009 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Call for end to unofficial ban on foreign journalists Related documents Letter to Belarus Foreign ministerPDF – 188.73 KB Receive email alerts June 2, 2021 Find out more “We welcome opening of criminal investigation in Lithuania in response to our complaint against Lukashenko” RSF says Help by sharing this information Organisation May 27, 2021 Find out more RSF at the Belarusian border: “The terrorist is the one who jails journalists and intimidates the public” Follow the news on Belarus Newscenter_img BelarusEurope – Central Asia RSF_en Reporters Without Borders today urged Belarus to end its systematic refusal to give permission to foreign journalists to work in the country, saying they were the target of “ridiculous bureaucratic and political behaviour.” A new media law that came into force on 8 February requires all foreign journalists to get accreditation from the foreign ministry before coming to Belarus, but requests have been systematically refused, “forcing journalists to work illegally,” the worldwide press freedom organisation said. It formally protested to foreign minister Sergei Martynov.Ivan Roman, of the privately-owned Polish-Dutch station Radio Racyja, was refused accreditation on 4 March on grounds that he had previously worked illegally in the country. The day before, officials refused to renew the accreditation of Andrei Pochobut, of the independent Polish daily Gazeta Wyborcza, because they said his recent articles about the country’s politics were unsatisfactory. Two Radio Racyja journalists were also refused accreditation for the same reason in January, even though the new law had not yet come into force. to go further Russian media boss drops the pretence and defends Belarus crackdown BelarusEurope – Central Asia News News An accreditation request made last December by the privately-owned TV station Belsat, which broadcasts in Belarusian from Poland, was refused on 2 March by the foreign ministry as “incomplete.” Radio Racyja and Belsat are two of the few sources of independent news in Belarus, which ranks 154th on the Reporters Without Borders annual world press freedom index. Read the RSF open letter to Foreign Minister Sergei Martynov : May 28, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Continue Reading

grzfjmlj

Trump says he is willing to spend his own money to win re-election

By on October 19, 2020

first_imgUS President Donald Trump, facing the possibility of a cash crunch, said on Tuesday he would spend “whatever it takes” of his own money to finance his 2020 presidential campaign against Democrat Joe Biden if he had to.The Republican president, who trails Biden in opinion polls ahead of the Nov. 3 election, told reporters before taking off for a trip to Florida that the campaign had double or triple what it had in 2016 but he would spend his own money if needed.”If I have to, I would,” Trump said. Trump campaign manager Bill Stepien, who took over from Brad Parscale in mid-July, told reporters on a campaign press call on Tuesday that “we are now carefully monitoring the budget.”Stepien said the campaign will have more resources to spend than it had in Trump’s 2016 victory and that “we’re very comfortable and confident” in how money is now being spent.Trump, under pressure for his handling of the coronavirus pandemic, on Tuesday was traveling to two states critical to his re-election: Florida and North Carolina.With many Republicans pointing fingers at Parscale for spending heavily earlier in the campaign, Trump defended him in a tweet.The president said that due to the virus, his campaign was forced to spend a lot earlier this year to counter what he felt was negative news coverage.”We did, and are doing, a GREAT job, and have a lot of money left over, much more than 2016,” he wrote. Topics :center_img The New York Times reported that Trump’s initial financial supremacy over former Vice President Biden earlier this year had evaporated, and that of the $1.1 billion his campaign and the party raised from the beginning of 2019 through July, more than $800 million already had been spent.Biden and the Democratic National Committee raised a combined $364.5 million in August, shattering the monthly record for fundraising by a presidential campaign. Trump and Republicans have not announced their August haul.Trump, who was a wealthy New York-based real estate developer before entering politics, was asked how much he might have to spend from his own personal fortune. He had to dip into his own money in 2016 to help pay for his campaign.”Whatever it takes. We have to win. This is the most important election in the history of our country,” he said.last_img read more

Continue Reading