pyfkzesm

Leahy doubts FBI in anthrax case; scientist admits error

By on November 18, 2020

first_img See also: Aug 20 CIDRAP News story “FBI says it easily replicated anthrax used in attacks” Ivins, a microbiologist who worked at the US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases (USAMRIID) in Frederick, Md., died of an apparent suicide on Jul 29 as the FBI was preparing to charge him in the case. On Aug 6 the FBI announced its conclusion that Ivins was the sole perpetrator and released a number of documents, mostly search warrant affidavits. “I believe I made an honest mistake,” he told the Times, adding that he had been “overly impressed” by what he saw under the miscroscope. He was careful at the time not to implicate Iraq or any other government in the attacks, but others used his analysis to allege that the silicon suggested possible involvement by Iraqi President Saddam Hussein, the Times reported. Jahrling reported this to his superiors and was subsequently summoned to the White House to brief top administration officials, the Times reported. A virologist, Jahrling also said, “I never should have ventured into this area,” referring to the study of anthrax, a type of bacteria, the story said. The AP report said the NAS review will be handled by private scientists who were not involved in the FBI investigation and that it could take up to 18 months. Mueller told the Senate committee he would consider allowing it to suggest scientists, but cautioned that the NAS and the Justice Department would probably have to go along. Mueller replied, “I understand that concern,” but he defended the FBI’s view that Ivins was the only culprit, the AP reported. ‘An honest mistake’One of the controversial questions in the anthrax case has been whether the anthrax powder used in the attacks was weaponized, or treated to make it spread better through the air and penetrate into the lungs. Such treatment would be difficult, making it less likely that one person was responsible for the attacks, experts have said. A Sep 17 Los Angeles Times report said Jahrling, the senior civilian scientist at USAMRIID in 2001, had studied the anthrax used in the attacks, work that was detailed in a 2002 book by Richard Preston. Using an electron microscope, Jahrling detected what he believed to be signs that silicon had been added to the material, the story said. Leahy said at the hearing, “If he is the one who sent the letter, I do not believe in any way, shape, or manner that he is the only person involved in this attack on Congress and the American people,” the AP reported. Leahy, a Vermont Democrat, was one of two senators, in addition to several media offices, that received envelopes containing anthrax powder in the fall of 2001. The attacks killed 5 people and sickened 17 others. “We have looked at every lead and followed every lead to determine whether anybody else was involved, and we will continue to do so,” Mueller said. At a House Judiciary Committee hearing a day earlier, Mueller had said he would ask the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) to review the FBI’s work on the case. In view of skepticism about the FBI findings, a number of scientists and biodefense experts have called for a review by independent experts. An NAS spokesman confirmed this to the AP. The spokesman, Wlliam Kearney, said the organization “would welcome input on potential committee members” from Congress, federal agencies, the scientific community, and the public. But all the nominees would have to be approved by the NAS president, he said. Another senator at the hearing, Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, said a congressional investigation of the FBI’s anthrax probe will probably be necessary, according to a Sep 17 report by Congress Daily. Lawmakers want role in review of caseIn other developments at the Senate hearing, Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., demanded to have a role in choosing scientists who will conduct an independent review of the FBI’s investigation, according to the AP story. Aug 15 CIDRAP News story “FBI conclusions in anthrax probe meet skepticism” Sep 16 CIDRAP News story “FBI seeks independent review of anthrax probe” Sep 19, 2008 (CIDRAP News) – Sen. Patrick Leahy, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee and a target of the 2001 anthrax attacks, said this week that he disbelieves the FBI’s conclusion that Dr. Bruce E. Ivins was the sole perpetrator of the attacks, according to news services. Meanwhile, Peter B. Jahrling, a leading government biodefense scientist, told the Los Angeles Times this week that he had erred in 2001 when he told Bush administration officials that the anthrax used in the mail attacks probably had been modified to make it more lethal. Grassley said the NAS review panel probably will not be allowed to review classified evidence in the case, creating a need for a congressional investigation, the report said. But in response to e-mailed questions from the newspaper, Jahrling said this week that he had been wrong. Senator doubts FBI chiefLeahy, at a Sep 17 hearing of his committee, told FBI Director Robert Mueller III that he thinks other people were involved in the attacks, but he did not explain his reasons, according to an Associated Press (AP) report. Other committee members also voiced doubts about the FBI’s conclusions, according to news reports. As reported previously, FBI scientists and outside experts hired by the FBI to analyze the anthrax used in the mailings announced Aug 18 that they had found silicon, but they believed it occurred naturally and was not added to the material. “I believe there are others who could be charged with murder,” Leahy added. “I just want you to know how I feel about it as someone who was aimed at in the attack.”last_img read more

Continue Reading

ibfignoo

DP World London Gateway Cuts Carbon Emissions by 28% in 2016

By on September 28, 2020

first_imgDP World London Gateway Port informed it reduced its carbon emissions by 28% per TEU in 2016.As explained, a significant increase in the number of containers being handled by the port as well as the introduction of hybrid-electric shuttle carriers to the port’s operations, better recording and tracking of energy use, and reduced energy consumption in buildings, all contributed to a reduction in carbon footprint.Port management committed to reducing the terminal’s emissions by 2.5% per TEU when The Planet Mark™ certification was achieved in 2016, after its carbon emissions were calculated and independently verified as part of the process.The Planet Mark™ is a sustainability certification program recognizing commitment to continuous improvement in sustainability.Results of the review were published as DP World London Gateway Port took part in Go Green Week from September 18 to September 22, a global environmental campaign that takes place in ports all over the world. Go Green offers leading terminal operators the chance to promote environmental awareness and contribute to making a difference in the communities that port terminals are operating in.“Last week we used Go Green Week to promote the importance of being environmentally friendly among the entire workforce and will continue to drive down carbon emissions and invest in innovative, green solutions to maintain and enhance the precious environment and community around us,” Chris Lewis, CEO, DP World London Gateway, said.Separately, DP World London Gateway said it is increasing trade line reliability between New Zealand, Australia and the Americas with new services. The only direct deep-sea link between New Zealand and the United Kingdom is among two services which have started calling at DP World London Gateway Port.The Panama Direct Line (PAD) service – also known as North Atlantic South Pacific – is jointly operated by CMA-CGM and Marfret and began calling on September 24.This follows the start of the North Europe French Guiana (NEFGUI) service – also operated by CMA-CGM and Marfret and also referred to as South America Service – into DP World London Gateway Port, on September 16.With these two new services, there are now 17 weekly services calling into DP World London Gateway.last_img read more

Continue Reading

ibfignoo

Bielema introduces 2012 recruiting class

By on September 16, 2020

first_imgDan Voltz, a 6-foot-4, 295-pound offensive lineman is one of three members of Wisconsin’s 2012 recruiting class to enroll in school this spring. He’ll be participating in spring camp as well.[/media-credit]Amid offseason turmoil on its coaching staff, the Wisconsin football team was nevertheless able to glue together its new recruiting class.As National Signing Day came and went, the Badgers amassed 19 letters of intent, seven of which came from preferred walk-ons.Head coach Bret Bielema knew it would be a smaller class and called it a blessing in disguise given the state of his staff after the Rose Bowl.“There really wasn’t a lot of huge numbers – if we were dealing with a class of 22, 23, it would have been a real challenge,” Bielema said. ” … I can’t say enough about my staff and the way they pulled the belt a little bit tighter and strapped it on and went after things. I do think if it would have been another 10 players that we had to keep track of, it wouldn’t have been good.”On an unusually warm February afternoon, Bielema was more than happy to completely unveil his 12 new scholarship players.Vince Biegel – LinebackerBiegel is a 6-foot-3, 225-pound four-star recruit from Wisconsin Rapids. In his senior season at Lincoln High School, Biegel made 172 tackles, 21 sacks, three interceptions, five forced fumbles with three fumble recoveries and two defensive touchdowns. Biegel finished his high school career tallying 425 tackles, 27 sacks, 10 interceptions, 10 forced fumbles with five fumble recoveries and four touchdowns.Hugs Etienne – CornerbackThe 5-foot-11, 170-pound three-star recruit from Plantation, Fla., is one of three UW recruits to join the Badgers for spring camp. Etienne finished his high school career with 88 tackles, six interceptions and seven forced fumbles.Etienne credited his decision to leave high school early to brotherly guidance.“I talked to my older brother – he’s my mentor – and he told me coming up early would take a lot of pressure off of my back coming in, in the fall when you’ve got school and football on your mind,” Etienne said. “So coming up early, you get some of that stress off and you get going.”Arthur Goldberg – Defensive TackleGoldberg is another three-star recruit, hailing from Mount Lebanon, Pa. The 6-foot-3, 270-pound tackle finished his high school career with 162 tackles, seven sacks and 12 tackles for loss. In his senior season, he was named First Team All-State and All-Conference, recording 63 tackles, three sacks and seven tackles for loss on the season.Bart Houston – QuarterbackAs one of the most highly touted quarterbacks in the country, Houston was a three-year starter in high school, losing only one game during that stretch. The 6-foot-4, 215-pound Dublin, Calif., native went 272-437 in his career for a 62.2 completion percentage. He threw for 5,178 yards and 46 touchdowns.Vonte Jackson – Running BackThe 6-foot, 190-pound running back out of Kenosha is a four-star recruit and considered the No. 2 player in the state by ESPN. Jackson missed almost all of his senior season after he tore his ACL in the first game of the season, but Jackson, along with Etienne, will join the Badgers’ camp this spring.Before being sidelined, Jackson rushed for 956 yards and 13 touchdowns his junior year, catching 14 passes for 266 yards and four touchdowns along the way.While Jackson joins a talented running back corps, running backs coach Thomas Hammock did assure him he’ll have the chance to compete for any spot in the depth chart.“He’s real big on competition,” Jackson said of Hammock. “He doesn’t want me to be behind Montee Ball, he wants me to be better than Montee Ball … He told me before ‘I want you to tell James White that you’re coming for his spot.’”Reggie Love – Wide ReceiverHailing from Boynton Beach, Fla., the 6-foot-3, 200-pound receiver is a three-star recruit. As a senior, he was named All-State, All-County and team MVP, recording 38 receptions for 876 yards and 13 touchdowns on the season.Jake Meador – Offensive LineThe highly sought-after recruit is a three-star offensive lineman from Greenwood, Ind. The 6-foot-6, 320-pound tackle was named Mr. Football for linemen in Indiana his senior year while also earning First Team All-State, All-Conference and All-County accolades. Meador originally committed to Ole Miss but settled on Wisconsin after a few months of communication with Bielema and new offensive line coach Mike Markuson, who worked at Ole Miss last season.Reggie Mitchell – CornerbackThe two-star recruit from Pittsburgh, Pa., was also a quarterback in high school. The 6-foot, 178-pound Mitchell was named First Team All-State defensive back as a senior but also threw for over 800 yards and ran for 1,420 yards and 22 touchdowns in that season.Leo Musso – Running Back (listed as “ATH” online)The 5-foot-8, 189-pound Waunakee native was a three-time state champion who rushed for 5,531 yards and 87 touchdowns in his career. As a senior and junior, he was a unanimous First Team All-Conference choice and was named First Team All-State. He also won the Elroy ‘Crazylegs’ Hirsch Running Back of the Year Award after rushing for 2,398 yards and 39 yards his senior year.D.J. Singleton – SafetyThe 6-foot-2, 195-pound four-star recruit is considered one of the top-20 safeties in the country. The Union, N.J., native posted 53 tackles, four sacks, three forced fumbles and 12 tackles for loss during his senior season. He also earned All-State, All-Metro and All-County accolades after his performance his senior year.Dan Voltz – Offensive LineVoltz is a four-star recruit out of Barrington, Ill. The 6-foot-4, 295-pound guard is the third and final new recruit to join the Badgers’ spring camp. As a senior, he was earned All-State accolades.Voltz spoke about trying to keep UW’s recruiting class together despite the six coaching departures the football team experienced.“When I committed, I committed to the university, not necessarily the coaching staff,” Voltz said. “I told a lot of guys why I committed, and I think that had a lot of influence on a lot of guys. Obviously everyone makes their own decisions; we lost some guys, but we have a great recruiting class still.”Walker Williams – Offensive LineWilliams found his own way to Wisconsin. After seeing the Badgers play in the Rose Bowl last year, he sought out Wisconsin’s program. The 6-foot-7, 320-pound Tacoma, Wash., native is a three-star recruit. The guard was a three-time All-State offensive lineman in high school and earned All-League honors on both the offensive and defensive line as a senior and junior.With these 12 recruits and the highly heralded preferred walk-ons, Bielema and Co. worked hard to find those players that fit Wisconsin’s family-oriented program.“He didn’t even talk about football that much when I first met him,” Voltz said of his recruitment process with Markuson. “He told me that he’s here for me, he’s here for the players … He’s really all about family.”last_img read more

Continue Reading

lsmooayp

Ex-Florida player Tony Joiner charged with wife’s murder

By on August 16, 2020

first_img Michigan QB commit says Ohio State coaches ‘lied to my face’ Former Florida safety Tony Joiner was arrested and charged with second-degree murder stemming from the death of his wife.Joiner, 33, was arrested by police on Saturday, more than three years after Heyzel Obando was found dead in their Fort Myers, Florida, apartment on Valentine’s Day in 2016. He’s the second Florida player from that class to be arrested on murder charges — Aaron Hernandez was convicted of murder in 2015 and was facing further murder charges before he hanged himself in his prison cell in 2017.Obando’s daughters, now 3 and 6, will be taken care of by Martinez, who was granted guardianship of the girls in 2017.”I feel so happy in this sense,” Martinez said of Joiner’s arrest. “This process has not been easy.” Ohio State lands top wide receiver Julian Fleming for 2020 According to police, Obando’s death looked “suspicious” and was ruled a homicide two months later. However, the case has remained unsolved for three years.The relationship between Obando and Joiner had flagged police’s attention before. Twice Joiner was arrested for assaulting Obando during their marriage, according to court records obtained by the News-Press.A member of the Gators from 2004-07, Joiner was on the 2006 national championship team under coach Urban Meyer and served as a team captain in 2007. Obando’s mother, Isabel Martinez, said police asked her to come down to the station Friday to inform her they were arresting her daughter’s husband.”As a mother, I understand the pain his mother is going through,” Martinez said, the Fort Myers News-Press. “But as a mother, no one is going to take my pain away. Now that he is arrested, I hope he feels the weight of the law.” Related News Miami bolsters 2020 class with No. 15 OT Jalen Riverslast_img read more

Continue Reading