pyfkzesm

CH&PA probing another house lot scam

By on January 12, 2020

first_imgThe Central Housing and Planning Authority (CH&PA) says it is investigating a scam in Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne) involving the sale of lands by an individual not authorised to conduct business on behalf of the agency.The issue was brought to the CH&PA’s attention and indicates that a woman, claiming to represent the agency, scammed several persons of hundreds of thousands of dollars.“Last week two men visited our Regional Housing Office to enquire of lands they paid for, only to be told that the agency does not have any records of transacting business with them. The men related to housing officials at the Regional Office that they were approached by a woman claiming that she could have gotten lands for them through the agency at a reduced cost,” the CH&PA said on Wednesday.According to the agency, one of the men paid the woman $150,000 for three house lots with a balance of $180,000 for, his children while another paid $70,000 with a balance of $60,000.The CH&PA further stated that there are several other instances of the same scam artist eliciting money from vulnerable people, but noted that the victims are unwilling to come forward. The agency will be turning the matter over to the Police, however, persons are asked to be on the alert for scammers.All payments relating to the sale of land or housing units from the Central Housing and Planning Authority must be done at the agency’s Georgetown head office, Regional Housing Offices or Regional Democratic Council.Just recently, Region Two (Pomeroon-Supenaam) Regional Housing Officer Omesh Sasenarayan, along with his deputy, Safeia Razak, was accused of unlawfully collecting monies from persons for house-lots in the region.According to reports, earlier in the year, the Housing Officer allegedly collected the sum of $50,000 as payment for a house lot but issued a personal receipt instead of an official one, converting the money to his own use. It is reported that Razak acted in collaboration with him.The woman, he sold the land to visited the Regional Democratic Office for an update on the progress of her transaction only to be told that there were no records and the receipt she had in her possession was fake. She then ventured to office of the Central Housing and Planning Authority at Brickdam, Georgetown and it was revealed that there were no records of the transaction.last_img read more

Continue Reading

hdgviosa

Man who felt pensioner’s bum and then knocked him unconscious is found not guilty

By on December 27, 2019

first_imgA young man who knocked a pensioner unconscious after feeling his bottom in a chip-shop has been found not guilty of the attack.Kevin Crawford, 22, walked free from Letterkenny Circuit Court today, after a jury needed just 17 minutes to find him innocent. The jury of seven women and five men had watched CCTV footage from the Chicken Corner Takeway in Buncrana which showed footage of the row which took place on April 26th, 2014.The film showed Crawford feeling the backside of Patrick ‘Pa’ Deeney, 67, before the pensioner reacted by swinging out an elbow at 6’2″ Crawford.Crawford reacted by throwing just one punch at Deeney which knocked him unconscious even before he hit the floor of the takeaway.Mr Deeney’s son-in-law Shay Kinsella rushed to the pensioner’s aid as blood streamed from his nose and mouth.Patrick ‘Pa’ DeeneyAs he stood over the unconscious man, Kinsella told the attacker “You f***ing killed him.”He then alleged that Crawford said “”He had it coming, he deserved it.”In his evidence, Crawford said he had been in a car crash several months before the incident in the chip-shop and had broken two bones in his jaw.He said he was left in huge pain when Patrick Deeney struck him with his elbow.He denied that he was homosexual but said he liked girls and was only feeling Mr Deeney’s bum for a bit of fun as he had consumed four pints and was in great spirits.Mr Crawford grandfather Eddie gave evidence that he contacted Pa Deeney about five weeks after the incident to see how he was.He alleged that Mr Deeney called his grandson a “queer bastard” and told him to send him away before he is found dead.The jury retired to consider if Crawford, of  Burwood, Buncrana, was guilty of assault causing harm but return with a not guilty verdict just 17 minutes later.Man who felt pensioner’s bum and then knocked him unconscious is found not guilty was last modified: December 10th, 2016 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:bumbuncranadonegalfeelKevin CRawfordtouchlast_img read more

Continue Reading

grzfjmlj

Ontario on unsustainable fiscal track new report finds

By on October 17, 2019

first_imgTORONTO – Ontario’s Liberal government has missed an opportunity to create a competitive recreational marijuana market with its plans to restrict sales to provincially run stores, according to a new analysis from a think-tank.The analysis by the C.D. Howe Institute, to be released Wednesday, faults the province for its refusal to allow the private sector involvement in pot retailing.“More competition between businesses would constrain operating costs and keep prices low,” the institute says in its report. “Lower prices in the legal market would make it more likely to be competitive with the existing black market.”The report also faults the province for its plans — once the federal government actually legalizes recreational cannabis likely this summer — to severely restrict the number of outlets that will be selling pot. The province has said 40 stores will be in place initially, with a total of 150 by 2020.The result, the institute says, will be inconvenient access for many people leading them to stay with the black market.“Recreational consumers are highly unlikely to switch their dollars to the regulated market if there isn’t easy access,” the report states. “This means that there will be significant opportunity for the black market to continue operating in all the areas without enough legal stores to meet market demand or that are convenient to access.”The report notes that Alberta, for example, is making privately run stores responsible for marijuana retailing although even a mixed model of licensed establishments operating alongside government retail stores could deliver better market coverage faster than the province could on its own.Additionally, the study proposes changing the way alcohol is taxed to applying taxes to the level of alcohol content rather than on volume.Overall, the report by Benjamin Dachis — called “Fiscal Soundness and Economic Growth: An Economic Program for Ontario” — argues that the province is on an “unsustainable” fiscal course.It takes aim at government spending that is out of line with its ability to raise revenues, saying the government should adopt a long-term fiscal policy that requires surpluses, not just balanced budgets.Among its various ideas, the study argues for keeping health-care costs under control by limiting payments to family doctors, making free drug programs for those under 24 and seniors income-tested rather than universal, and slowing increases in the minimum wage.The general minimum wage in Ontario jumped to $14 an hour this year from $11.60, and is set to rise to $15 per hour on Jan. 1, 2019. Some have argued the increase will hurt small businesses and lead to job losses.The study also calls for scrapping rent controls and transfer taxes as a way to curb dramatic increases in housing costs.“The government’s policies have focused mostly on curtailing the demand of housing,” the report states. “In contrast, the actions so far for boosting housing supply have been largely limited to minor rebates on some types of development charges and taxes for multi-residential units.”Ontario voters are expected to go to the polls June 7.last_img read more

Continue Reading