RSF calls for a fully transparent investigation after mine kills two journalists in Azerbaijan Organisation June 7, 2021 Find out more March 19, 2014 – Updated on February 27, 2017 Journalists must be free to work without being threatened RSF_en Reporters Without Borders condemns an attack on Oleksandr Panteleymonov, acting CEO of the National Ukrainian Television Company (NTKU), on the evening of 18 March, when around 20 people led by parliamentary members of the nationalist Svoboda party stormed into his office, insulted and beat him, and forced him to sign a resignation letter.“A full and impartial investigation must be carried out to ensure that this kind of unacceptable behaviour does not recur,” said Johann Bihr, the head of the Reporters Without Borders Eastern Europe and Central Asia desk.“This entails lifting the parliamentary immunity of the legislators involved. And one of them, Igor Miroshnichenko, cannot continue to be a member of the parliamentary committee on freedom of expression and information.”Bihr added: “Journalists must not be held hostage to the conflict between Russia and Ukraine. They must be able to work in an impartial manner, refraining from any propaganda or disinformation, and without being forced to rally to the flag of any of the parties to the conflict.”Video recordings show Miroshnichenko, the current vice-president of the parliamentary committee on freedom of expression and information, hitting Panteleymonov. Two other Svoboda parliamentarians, Bogdan Benyuk and Andriy Illenko, can be seen among the assailants.They accused Panteleymonov, state-owned NTKU’s acting CEO since before President Viktor Yanukovych’s removal, of being “in Moscow’s pay” and blamed him for the fact that Pershy Natsionalny, one of NTKU’s channels, broadcast the 18 March signing ceremony in Moscow making Crimea part of the Russian Federation.The incident has shocked Ukrainian journalists, who have issued protests and have called on the prosecutor-general’s office to investigate. Miroshnichenko has so far refused to apologize and has said his actions were justified by the “war with Russia.” He has nonetheless said that he is ready to renounce his parliamentary immunity in order to defend his actions before the courts.Svoboda’s leader, Oleg Tyagnybok, and interim Prime Minister Arseny Yatsenyuk’s government have both condemned the attack on Panteleymonov.Continuing impunity in CrimeaThe rapid evolution in the situation in Crimea has not so far led to any improvement in the climate of intimidation for journalists working in the peninsula or the impunity enjoyed by those responsible for acts of intimidation.The Institute of Mass Information, a Reporters Without Borders partner organization, has reported no fewer than 89 cases of threats or violence against journalist or acts of censorship since the start of the Russian intervention in late February. At least three journalists have fled from Crimea to Kiev in the past few days following repeated threats.In the latest case, Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty journalist Levko Stek reported being kidnapped in Bakhchisaray on 18 March by unidentified individuals, who gagged him, put a bag over his head, took him away in their car and finally dumped him in an open field, warning him not to return to Crimea.Ibrayim Umerov, a reporter for the Tatar TV station ATR, and his cameraman were detained in Simferopol on 18 March by a dozen armed men, who threatened them and then let them go.There is still no news of Yaroslav Pilunski and Yuri Gruzinov, two citizen-journalist cameramen who are working on a documentary for the Babylon ’13 project. They went missing on 16 March when trying to pass a package to Ukrainian soldiers trapped in a military base in Simferopol. UkraineEurope – Central AsiaRussia News “We’ll hold Ilham Aliyev personally responsible if anything happens to this blogger in France” RSF says to go further News News Help by sharing this information Receive email alerts Follow the news on Europe – Central Asia News UkraineEurope – Central AsiaRussia June 8, 2021 Find out more Respect judicial independence in cases of two leading journalists in Serbia and Montenegro, RSF says June 4, 2021 Find out more
‘It’s heartbreaking,’ says teen whose video of meeting her deported dad at the US-Mexico border went viralBy admin on May 18, 2021
iStock/Thinkstock(EL PASO, Texas) — Leslie Silva had yet to reach her teens when her father, Milo Silva, was deported for the third time.Since that deportation in 2012, Leslie, who now lives with her mother, two older sisters and two nieces in El Paso, Texas, has tried to spend every weekend with Milo, who lives in Ciudad Juarez in Mexico.“When I was little I didn’t know what was going on and why he was gone for such a long time,” Leslie Silva told ABC News. “But now that I understand, it’s just heartbreaking not having him here especially that we are at an age when a lot of things are happening.”The 18-year-old recently posted a video of her meeting her father after crossing the U.S.-Mexico border that quickly went viral with nearly 4 million views in less than a week.Shot by her sister, Ingrid Silva, the video shows the Eastlake High School graduate dressed in a purple graduation cap and gown, crossing the Yselta-Zaragoza Bridge to give her father “the honor of seeing her first” before she took part in the school’s June 3 graduation ceremony.“[Earlier] he was calm about it … The day of, at the moment he saw me, I saw his face light up and he started crying and I started crying,” she recalled fondly. “But they were all happy tears.”Even though he celebrated with the family over the phone, Milo has missed key family events including the wedding of his oldest daughter and the birth of his grandchildren.“It’s really heartbreaking not having him here with us. Who wouldn’t want their dad with us?” she said.At the beginning, when Milo, who currently works as a security guard at a factory, was struggling with getting small jobs, the family was often interrogated while crossing the border. Silva said that eventually border patrol stopped asking questions when they realized that the girls were going to meet their father.“We try to spend as much time as we can together when we go and do small things that we can as a family like go to the movies or go [out] eat or just be at the house,” she said. “But once we leave, it’s kind of sad, leaving him behind.”She added that the family isn’t nervous about their situation given the political climate.“We are used to [it],” she said nonchalantly. “The worst has already happened.”Leslie, who in the fall will attend UTEP in El Paso to study nursing, said she was often quizzed by her friends about her father’s absence growing up.“They didn’t really know [because] I wouldn’t tell anyone. I would just say, ‘Oh I am going to Ciudad Juarez’ and they would be like, ‘Oh, okay.’ They would ask me [where my dad is] and I would say he is not here. My parents are still together … But they wouldn’t really understand [because] I wouldn’t talk about it too much,” she explained.Leslie said that at first, most of the comments on her video on Instagram were negative.“They were just saying it was weird that my dad was deported three times, like how could that happen? Or they would focus on the smallest things in the video like the plastic bag he was holding,” she said. “My family agreed that we won’t let it affect us. People don’t really the story behind it and why we did things the way we did.”Laughing about her celebrity status, she said that she hopes to spread the awareness about the situation of families like hers.“There’s always a story behind someone they won’t know about and they don’t know what they go through. It’s not easy,” she said. “I got a lot of that in the comments they said, ‘Oh, why doesn’t he get his citizenship?’ [Because] it’s not easy.”Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.